Pa. Investigates Priests Sexually Abusing Children on an “Extraordinarily Large Scale”

Grand jury report details sex abuse in six of state’s eight Catholic dioceses

Image Credits: Jim Bowen, Flickr.

The state of Pennsylvania is investigating reported sexual abuse of children by priests conducted on an “extraordinarily large scale” in six of the state’s eight Catholic dioceses.

A grand jury investigation, set for release this month, details over 300 priests accused of being sexual predators; the state’s Supreme Court provided an opinion on its release.

“The 40th Statewide Investigating Grand Jury undertook the salutary task of exposing alleged child sexual abuse and concealment of such abuse, on an extraordinarily large scale, which the grand jurors have pronounced was perpetrated by trusted members of a religious institution,” reads the opinion. “Thus, the grand jury submitted a report for publication specifically finding that more than 300 people, identified by name, committed criminal and/or morally reprehensible conduct.”

The court originally withheld the complete release at the behest of the persons named in the report concerned with due process and reputational rights guaranteed by their state’s constitution.

However, lawyers and media outlets reached a compromise with the court to release a redacted version that omits specific names and references.

“The Commonwealth is directed to prepare a redacted version of Report 1, which removes specific and contextual references to any petitioner who has an appellate challenge pending before this Court,” reads the supreme court’s opinion.

If petitioners appeal over the redactions, the public release of the redacted report is set for August 14th; otherwise, the interim report and responses will be released August 8th.

With the release of the report just days away, one of the Catholic dioceses involved put out a list of 71 clergy members accused of sexually abusing children in cases going back decades.

Harrisburg Bishop Ronald Gainer publicly apologized Wednesday to the survivors of the abuse.

“I express profound sorrow and I apologize to the survivors of child sex abuse,” said Gainer. “We take seriously both my and the diocese’s obligation to prevent such abuse from occurring.”

The 71 clergy members named goes back to 1940 and most are reportedly dead or no longer in ministry.

Sharon Tell (66), one of the victims, found validation from sharing her story of abuse to the grand jury.

“I went and testified in front of the grand jury so there was 30 people sitting in front of me,” said Tell. “I testified for like two hours and they believed me.”

“I was just a happy go lucky kid, and all of a sudden, [the clergy member] started laying down with me at night. It started off with just touching and went to intercourse.”

When asked about the emotional toll, Tell said it was “Horrible.”

“[It was] horrible. This was 20 years of my life. It’s been 40 years since then. My children have suffered. I was diagnosed bipolar, I was in bed for three years. Its affected my entire life.”

Her alleged abuser died in 1997.